Since our inception in spring of 2010, we’ve been busy working to make downtown Newberg into a great destination for visitors and those of us who live in this great community.
Some of what we’ve been up to:
- Organized twice annual Downtown Clean-Up Days bring volunteers downtown to pick up trash, pull weeds and spread barkdust on downtown businesses.
- Helped attract thousands of visitors downtown by providing volunteers or organizational support for community-enhancing events such as the Halloween Trick-or-Treat Street, Holiday Tree Lighting, Downtown Christmas Caroling, Art Walk and the Camellia Festival.
- Re-started and manage the Newberg Farmers Market, which brings thousands to downtown.
- Prepared recommendations for the redesign of the merchant parking lot on 2nd Street.
- Created a historic downtown walking tour.
- Played an active role in planning the Newberg Cultural District as well as provided volunteers for the Project for Public Spaces presentation.
- Established an economic restructuring committee to attract and retain businesses downtown.
- We’re creating a Web site (yes this one) that promotes downtown businesses and events, as well as provide a platform for coordinating revitalization efforts.
- Created a suggested downtown paint color palette for merchants and business owners.
- Coordinated the donation, painting and distribution of decorative wine barrel planters with roses and camellias.
- Enlisted George Fox undergraduate students to conduct market research for downtown
- Engaged George Fox MBA students to create a business assistance program to provide training and other assistance to downtown businesses
- Encouraged business referrals by bringing business owners together weekly through our Business to Business program.
- Formed a design committee to provide business and citizen recommendations to the city for physical improvements.
- Organized a promotions committee to work on special marketing efforts and events to draw people downtown and to help downtown businesses attract customers.
- With much more to come …